Crash Covers: Which One Do You Like?

Crash Covers: Which One Do You Like?

Hey there, Goners. Crash is coming out soon and I’m working on a few different cover ideas. I’d love to know which one(s) you like best.

Here’s the synopsis for the story:

CRASH

It has been nearly a year since writer Thomas Witt lost his daughter in a horrible car accident which nearly killed him. He and his wife are attempting to have another child and put their lives back together.

However, he can’t move on.

In addition to his daughter, there’s something missing — specifically his memories for 6 months prior to the accident.

He finds himself obsessively drawn to accident scenes where he photographs the carnage in attempts to reclaim his memories.

But what he finds in the photographs may just destroy him.

Here’s the cover choices so far. Please leave a comment below.

A – GIRL ON WHITE – BLACK TITLE

crash-cover-snow-girl-3

B – GIRL ON WHITE – FIRE TITLE

crash-cover-5

C – ROAD WITH DOLL

crash-cover-6

D – ROAD WITH CRACKED GLASS BLUE

crash-cover-7

E – CRACKED GLASS TITLE

crash-cover-8

Leave your choice below, or email me and let me know what you think. Alternatively, if none of them do anything for you, let me know that, too.

As always, thank you for reading,

dave

69 Comments

1. Hi Dave! Crash sounds just perfect! After reading just the synopsis, I find my imagination is already running wild… I can’t wait to be surprised by the story!

As for the cover, I like the photos used in A/B and C a lot. In A, the text is nice too. The text layout used in the others doesn’t feel quite right to me. I think it’s the 3D / perspective effect… It might be just me, but I like the simpler approach from the first option.

2. My choice is F, girl on white-fire title with cracked glass

• Thanks, Ruby. I’m going to try some variations of A, which seems to be leading the pack. I’ll see how this looks with the cracked glass AND the girl.

• Since you are designing new covers to look at, here is my complete thought about my idea.
      Girl on white from A, fire lettering in A format for Crash with author names in black then cracked

3. I’ve read the thing. SO I have a bit of an advantage in knowing what cover might work with the story. I’m voting for C and then A but with a bigger font on Crash. As in larger than it is.

• I agree.

• Thanks, Carl. You’re the lucky bastard who got to be depressed early 🙂 I’m working on some variants of A to post later this week.

4. A.

5. A or C

6. I vote for A, but with “Crash” and “Platt & Wright” done in dark shadow like the way “Crash” is shown in the first (top) photo of this post. That looks awesome and does not detract from the eeriness of the girl; whereas when the title/names are done in black and casting shadows, well, that’s too distracting and takes away from the strong presence of the girl. Of course, my opinion is based on the art at this size. With it shrunk down the size of a book cover, it might look great exactly as it is. But you did not post the covers at different sizes, so I cannot say. Anyway, I have said enough. LOL. I look forward to reading Crash! 😀

• Thanks, Mgon! I’ll be working up some variants of A to vote on again later this week.

7. I like A, too. But also E. Would be cool if Photoshop had a type effect that showed text colliding with background—and you could specify the speed of impact . . .

• I actually DID make a cover that shows letters flying apart. It took a while to make and I liked it, though it felt a bit busy. Maybe I’ll upload it with the next round of votes.

• Well, I recalled after posting that that Chip Kidd would say you shouldn’t both say AND show crash on a cover. So probably your instincts are just a lot better than mine. (Although I’d still love to see a Photoshop “windshield impact” type effect.)

8. I really like C and E.

9. I like B, then A. You’re girl is haunting no doubt. Can’t wait for Crash. Latest Z2136 just blew my mind. Didn’t see that s**t coming. Love your stuff.

• Thanks, JoniJ! Glad you’re digging Z. Final episode is this week! Hope you enjoy the ending as much as we did writing it.

10. A – I like the simple black title, and the girl sets a great mood. Don’t care for the fire title and none of the other cover images grab me like the first one does.

11. A – Creepy and I like that it’s a light cover for a dark book.
    E – Overall very nice but I don’t dig the crooked title.

12. A. Girl on white-black title. It’s powerful and the text is great.

13. A – GIRL ON WHITE – BLACK TITLE

This one is so much better than all of the others, I see no contest. You must go with option A!

14. A – For Sure! It is terrifying. The baby doll seems too funny. E is a great looking cover but it’s not an attention grabber.

• Thanks, Haley. A seems to be winning the day! And yeah, there were surprisingly few images like what I had in mind — a toy thrown from a car wreck (that didn’t look staged). And I wouldn’t want to use a REAL crash photo and exploit a real tragedy.

15. A. But maybe without the shadows on the title and author. Keep the text simple and the girl creepy.

16. Having skipped the synopsis and only looking at covers (the first thing people will judge the book by) cover C was the one that made me want to read it.

17. A. It gives the reader the impression that they are going to get involved in a story that will be a little sad but will have a big mystery attached.

• Tammy – Thanks. That’s what I’m going for. Though change “little sad” to “VERY” 🙂

18. I like elements of cover C, but the choice of font for the title and the angle it’s on has a very ‘photocopied 90s highschool dance poster’ feel to it. It also visually distresses me, and I think that’s because the vertical centre line on the road under the doll and the horizontal block the author’s name makes for an in-congruent visual balance when placed next to a diagonal title.

I suggest perhaps replacing it with a horizontal type, maybe one that looks like flaked road paint? I threw a sample together in about 5 minutes to demonstrate what I mean–it uses the font stamPete (easily googled, don’t wanna include the link and make disqus think I’m a spambot). If you wanted to use that, the commercial license for it can be purchased from the author’s website for €5,00. Or, if you wanna go the free route doing something by hand that looks similar should be easy (uh, if you’re me, or a graphic artist I guess, I sometimes forget that not everyone can whip up logos and stylized text that quickly).

Anyhow, that’s what I *do* like, and what I don’t like are letters B, D and E. A is all right, but I’d lose the double title/author effect all together if you go that route. The other last two are too heavily filtered and B would look fine, again, with a non-diagonal title.

EDIT: Oh hay, this blog has image uploads disabled, it looks like. Sample I threw together can be seen here. Hopefully that doesn’t get me flagged for spam.

EDIT: And it’s working now, so I look crazy. I’ll leave both, I guess. O_O

• What the–now it’s showing up twice. I give up, I don’t even know. Go home disqus, you’re drunk. 🙁

• Thanks, Ran. Ha! A 90s high school dance! Totally the vibe I was going for (no, not really). I’ll most likely be going with a variant of A since that’s what the majority is voting for. Thanks for working up a mockup of the other font, though! I appreciate that, as well as the suggestions.

19. I like E best. More simplistic. But I think it could be made to look more…dark or scary somehow, because some people might not see that and think “horror.”

• Thanks, G. Looks like A is leading the pack, though. I’ll work up some variations of that one and see what everyone thinks.

20. I like A – it’s haunting, which seems like the perfect mood for this book. I’m not a fan of the ones with the doll…dolls are freaking creepy, and not the kind of creepy I enjoy LOL.

Can’t wait to read this book! I keep hearing you mention it on SPP and it sounds amazing!

21. I like A. a lot! I’m not 100% sold on the second, lighter, shadow words repeated under the black ones, though. I think it would be better without them.

I also like E, but only if it has the type style of A (without the shadow text underneath). I do not care for the angled lettering.

A is the clear choice!

• Thanks, Roland. I’ll do a few different versions of A for the next round!

22. Hi Dave…I like A and C. A I think should have CRASH in slightly larger font. Don’t like the Fire title much. C with the doll is also gripping. It really looks like a crash happened and a little girl was thrown, leaving her doll on the highway. I am excited for this story! Maybe there could be a crack on the road of the C cover.

• Thanks, Donna. I think I’ll be going with A since it’s the most popular by far. Or a variation of A.

23. I love A; second choice is B – Crash is a great title

• Thanks, Sher. Funny thing on the title. I WANTED to come up with something better. So Crash has always been the thing I’ve called it while waiting to come up with a better title. Eventually, it got to the point that nothing else made sense.

24. I like cover A the best for this book but I keep going back to look at cover E. Visually stunning.

• Thanks, D! I like E, too. But A seems to be winning the votes.

25. I like the first one A. My second choice would be D. How bout taking the shadows and colors in C and combining them with the cracked glass effect of E as a layover?

• Thanks, Anna. I’ll play around a bit more. Seems A is winning, though.

26. A. Most definitely.

27. A. It really draws you in. The small text doesn’t distract from the rest of the cover.

28. I like A and I really like E, but I don’t like the fading 3D title on any of them. The shadowing is good but something about the 3D is distracting.

29. C is my favorite. Looking forward to reading it!

30. Sorry, don’t know what all of you are thinking. For me E is the obvious choice. The broken blue safety glass is great symbolism of the title name. The angled text adds the feeling of motion a must in my opinion. I would only change the shadow effect, doesn’t seem to add anything and clutters the stark image. A great cover for a book titled crash. Can’t wait to read it 🙂

31. The first one grabs me. It’s amazing. The cover with the doll on the street makes me want to cry – the mother in me tells me it’s too sad to read. BTW, I just discovered your podcasts and listen to them everywhere – even while planting tomatoes this morning 🙂 Honestly, I’m very inspired and am getting closer to brave, to finally upload my book to Amazon after years of literary rejections. Thank you!

32. I’m late to the party, of course. I like A the best. It has a dreamy, ghostly vibe to it. The cracked glass in E is also kind of interesting looking, but I really don’t like the text on that one.

Submit a Comment